2018 Concerto Competition
The competition will be held on Saturday February 24, 2018 at the Brookline Music School. The competition is open to all ages. The panel selects two winners, one from within the orchestra, and one from the community. The winners will perform either on our Sunday, May 26, 8pm concert at All Saints Parish in Brookline, or on our first concert next season (date TBD).
You can audition a single movement of a piece, or an entire concerto. For the 2018 competition, there will be a 30 minute limit. There are no memorization requirements, and using music will not have any impact on your audition. Please note that we will not accept applications for pieces performed this season or last - Please refrain from submitting applications for the following pieces:
Sibelius Violin Concerto in D Minor, op. 47
Beethoven - Violin Concerto
Mozart - D Major Flute Concerto K314
Ravel - Tzigane
Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto Op. 64
To apply, please fill out this application. Applications are due by Friday, January 19, 2018.
Our competition has grown in popularity over the past few years so that we can no longer guarantee all applicants an audition. All applications will be reviewed after the deadline and you will be notified within two weeks.
If you are given an audition time, and the time is acceptable, please follow the link provided in the email to pay the registration fee of $50. If the time does not work for you, please email email@example.com as soon as possible to request a new time. If there are no more openings by the time you apply, you will be put on a wait list and contacted if there is a cancellation.
Information for the day of the competition:
- Please arrive 15-30 minutes ahead of your time. A warm-up room will be provided.
- You are responsible for providing your own accompanist. All entries must have an accompanist.
- All auditions are private; no audience allowed.
-(Optional) Bring an extra copy of music for the judges
Please note that winning the competition does not guarantee a performance with the symphony, as we must also take into consideration costs and scheduling as needed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email Concerto@BrooklineSymphony.org
Previous Brookline Symphony Concerto Competition winners:
- Orchestra Member: Subaiou Zhang - violin - Sibelius, Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47
- Community Member: Yun Jae Choi - violin - Sibelius, Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47
- Honorable Mention: Dylan Shih Wu - cello - Tchaikovsky, Pezzo Capriciosso
- Orchestra Member: Weronika Balewski - flute - Mozart Concerto in D. Major K. 314
- Community Member: Javier Iglesias Martin - cello - Elgar Concerto for Cello
- Honorable Mention: Emmanuel Vukovich - violin - Brahms Violin Concerto
- Orchestra Member: Peter Kronheimer - french horn - Strauss Concerto No. 2
- Community Member: Sangyoon Kim - clarinet - Sarasate Carmen Fantasy
- Honorable Mentions: Tae Kim - piano - Brahms Concerto No. 2, 1st movement. Katusaya Yuasa & Diana Searle - clarinets - Ponchielli Il Convegno Divertimento.
- Orchestra Member: John Guarino- Violin- Vieuxtemp - Violin Concerto No. 5
- Community Member: Fred Sienkiewicz- Trumpet- Artunian - Trumpet Concerto in Ab Major